Friday, June 13, 2008

Microbiology! I am doing it!


The big news is that Paola with Supranaturals called me while I was at work yesterday and offered me a job! I start July 7th with my new title...Microbiologist. I'll be doing testing on their products to make sure there isn't any microbial contamination. It pays a lot more than I was expecting and it's just five minutes further from where I work now! It's not what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it IS a step in the right direction. People always act amazed when they hear I graduated in molecular biology, but I always bomb the follow up question, "What are you doing now?" "umm I'm a collector for a security system company." Now I can say I'm a microbiologist with a real job and real benefits and a real title. I'll even have a lab tech to assist me! I was applying for a lab tech position in Salt Lake, and now I'll have my own lab tech, maybe even two if it gets busy. I'm fooling myself if I think it will be an easy job, but this list of jobs and their stress ranking tells me that "natural scientist" is a pretty good bet if you want low stress. What I do now would probably be considered "customer service/complaint worker". I'm glad to get on the second list. I think Katy should stick with Bookbinding, and Becca should never be an Inner City HS Teacher.
Top 10 Most Stressful Jobs
1. Inner City HS Teacher
2. Police Officer
3. Miner
4. Air Traffic Controller
5. Medical Intern
6. Stockbroker
7. Journalist
8. Customer Service/Complaint Worker
9. Secretary
10. Waiter
Top 10 Least Stressful Jobs
1. Forester
2. Bookbinder
3. Telephone Line Worker
4. Toolmaker
5. Millwright
6. Repairperson
7. Civil Engineer
8. Therapist
9. Natural Scientist
10. Sales Representative
All of these people are just as likely to get ulcers, by the way. Ulcers can be aggravated by stress, but they are caused by the bacterium Helicobactor pylori. ( List and fact taken from the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

3 comments:

amanda said...

I am so glad that I can tell people "yeah, I have this friend that's a microbiologist..." Not only is your life as one going to be really cool, but my life knowing you is going to improving in the "wow, she is cool, look at all the amazing people she knows" department.

Rica T said...

Nice to see I'm going to have a life plagued by stress! At least I'll be happy. =)

Congrats on the new job!

Caitlin Carroll said...

I think I may switch my major to Wildlands Preservation. I wonder how stressed political scientists are?