Friday, May 18, 2007

Whine, Wine

I hate it when people say wine is good for you. Wrong. It's not. It really isn't. That's ridiculous and true nutritionists don't even say that. What has been said is that red wine is the most "heart friendly" alcoholic beverage. It's like saying, "of all the firearms in production, it is safest to shoot yourself in the face with a BB gun." The antioxidants in red wine come from grape skin. Just eat some grapes. Alcohol isn't good for you; not even in moderation( I say this because any positive effects are outweighed by the negative). UV light induces the production of Vitamin D in the skin, so why do people wear sunscreen? We want Vitamin D don't we? Why would we ever want to block the production of Vitamin D? Oh yeah, skin cancer. Alcohol weakens the heart, increases blood pressure, and inhibits the production of both red and white blood cells. Just eat some grapes. If you drink wine because you like it....fine. Just don't claim you do it because it's good for you. And wear sunscreen. And drink Vitamin D fortified milk. That's Dr. Kyle's advice.

Oh... and if you read somewhere online that alcohol cures all disease and is the world's only salvation...believe what you want, but don't post any arguments on this page. I haven't performed my own studies, so it would be pointless for me to get into a debate about it. I'm just sharing what I have read, and what makes sense to me.

2 comments:

Alan said...

I eat Five Buck Pizza for the antioxidants, and I avoid alcohol for the oxidants. More like NOTcohol.

Anonymous said...

There was an article in the paper recently that said people who drink alcohol have smaller brains than those who don't ...especially women who process it differently. It's because alcocol dehydrates brain tissue and shrinks it. Yeah and the scientific community is just know figuring this out? Hello! Yeah, pass me a glass of that ...NOT!!!