Monday, July 17, 2006

Like Lightning



Lightning is great. Confident in my knowledge that electricity will not travel through something not grounded, I would go out in thunderstorms and jump on my trampoline. Covered in water and cold I would jump as high as I could and listen to the thunder roar around me. As I would jump, I'd pretend that I had no home and that I couldn't get out of the rain. I had nowhere to go. No one to turn to. All alone. Just me and the storm. I suppose life was too easy for me, so I had to pretend that I was disadvantaged. I had to make believe that I was overcoming all odds to become something great. The truth of the matter is that I had no difficult odds (or evens) to overcome, and I don't see myself heading towards greatness. I would get tired and just lie down on my trampoline and feel the rain hit my face while I thought. I feel like my thoughts then were deeper than my thoughts now. I'd contemplate the universe, my purpose in life, my association with friends, the existence of God, what it will be like to grow up..... I still think of some of these things, but it doesn't feel the same as it did then. Maybe it just seems that way because I was still new to the whole internal reflection and exploration thing- like when you go back and visit your elementary school and remember everything being so much bigger. I'd start to get cold and although I had no fear of lightning, I did worry about being cold and wet, thereby weakening my immune system, making me more susceptible to sickness and disease. Then, I would go inside. The pretending was over. I could change into some dry clothes and watch the Simpsons while I sipped on hot chocolate. I don't want my life to be more difficult than it is or was. I just think I should do more with the advantages I have. That's all. I can't wait for Del Taco Tuesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great-lookin' cat. It looks like its name is Council Bluffs.